Saturday, December 27, 2008

I was able to tell my dad things I haven't before last night.
The power was out so I couldn't see his face clearly and he couldn't see me cry.
I yelled, I handled it wrong at times. I called him an asshole.
But all in all I stood up.
I told him I didn't really respect him.
He said why not, he puts a roof over my head and feeds me, is that not respectable?
I said those were things not his character. There is a difference.
I told him he hasn't been a good father my entire life.
He told me to tell him when, exactly when. He scoffed He laughed.
He said "well then I guess I'll be paying for your counselig for the rest of your life"
My entire life. 
As far back as I can remember he has been this way.
Sometimes it's good, but it always gets bad again.
The worst part is that he refuses to admit it. Ever.
When he twists our words, when he punishes us in subtle ways.
He refuses to see any of it.
To not care if he's belittling me. My mom.
He latches on to my youngest sister because he can cotrol her.
He wants to drink, he thinks becuase my mom doesn't like him drinking in front of us that she's not normal.
But my sisters and I, all of us hate it.
Because we've seen him get drunk.
We've seen him blame it on benadryl.
I told him the first thing I could remember of all of this starting was when I was about 7 or 8
My mom was away
He passed out drunk on the couch and I didn't know what to do
I had three younger sisters
And I didn't know what was wrong
I couldn't do anything
I cried and cried because I was all alone
I couldn't get ahold of my mom
he was was barely awake
I was so incredibly alone
He used to tell my mom she was nothing
That our whole family was better off without her
She was just another mouth to feed
He broke her 
My sisters and I kept her alive
So sometimes it's good, but it always gets bad again
And right now it's bad
Worse for me because for the first time
I stood up to him
I told him one of his daughters is grown up enough to see him for who he really is
I can't be controlled anymore, I see him
And I tell him what I think of him
And he laughs
He rolls his eyes
That's my daddy
One by one all of us will grow up
And see him. And he won't be able to control us
To talk bad about my mom when she's not around
To sneak vodka into water bottles when she's not around
We will all stand up
He'll call us crazy, like he does to my mom
He tells her she is mentally crazy
He can call me that all he wants
Becuase in spite of the lack of encouragment from him for most of my life
In spite of the fact that I don't think he really loves me sometimes
In spite of him laughing at my dreams
Of thinking pursuing art will land me on the streets
I am strong
My mom parented for both of them
And she succeeded
I don't think he will ever see
I can pray and pray
We can all pray
But the sad thing is is I don't think that will do anything
I think he is uncapable of feeling
I would rather him be physically abusive
You could see the bruises on our arms
The welts on our faces
But you can't see the damage to our self esteem
Our self worth
You can't take a picture of that to bring to a judge
You can't videotape his twisting our words and manipulating us
until we're broken
and he can then control us
My father is emotionally abusive
He is verbally abusive
No outsider can attune to that
They don't see it
He's good at hiding it from others
Because to them, he is sociable Mike
The guy who bakes cookies and cakes
The guy who leads children's groups at churches
The social butterfly of the family
Behind that is something I don't think he can even see
I don't think he sees how he hurts us
over and over and over
Years
I now know his games like my mom does
I'm not afraid of him
I love him
But I know his character, who he is
Is abusive
Cleverly of course
He makes sure of that
But he is
He fits the profiles
I love my dad
But he doesn't know what love is
Only control

2 notes:

t*ffany said...

http://view.playlist.com/additem/2673343

my dads a lot the same way, except he's a lot better now than he used to be.
i think men especially have this complex, where they see only what they want to see. and the more people (female family members) point it out, the more vigorously it's denied.
i don't know. it's like. a heart issue or something...

but

i'm sososoosos proud of you though chelsea.
for speaking up and telling the truth, even if your dad laughed it off. its brave and strong of you and thats so great. and you know what? someday, SOMEDAY he'll remember what you said and it'll hit him like a ton of bricks. maybe not now, but i think someday..


anyway no no dont feel like you have to un-follow me or anything. actually i think you're like the only person i DON'T mind reading the random stuff i write. :0)

<3 youz
xoxoxoxox tiffany

Unknown said...

ahh babes, i don't what to say , im in a very similar situation. except my dad has the worst personality without any substance. i know EXACTLY how you're feeling. i just tell myself that it makes us stronger and not to be so fucked up with our kids.

 
Header image by sabrinaeras @ Flickr